Despite not holding our typical event at the end of January 2021, the Empire State Winter Games will be honoring our athletes across the state of New York based on their commitment to winter sports and their community.
The Empire State Winter Games will present the first annual Athlete of the Year Award presented by BlueShield of Northeastern New York to an athlete who (a) has participated in the Games before or for whom 2021 would have been their first year competing and (b) exemplifies sportsmanship, leadership, community service, academic excellence, and overall what it means to be an Empire State Winter Games Athlete.
Coaches, parents, and even peer athletes across all 30+ ESWG sports are encouraged to submit nominations for consideration. 1 finalist will be chosen from each sport by the respective ESWG Sport Coordinator based on predetermined and uniform criteria. Finalists will submit a video for Empire State Winter Games to share on social media where the ESWG community will vote (based on likes) to help crown the overall Athlete of the Year.
Video submissions are open to interpretation but they should state why the athlete believes they deserve to represent ESWG as the Athlete of the Year. It can be funny, it can be film from competing, it can be a speech, etc.
Nominations Should Be Based on the Following
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm for their sport both on and off the ice
- Community involvement and leadership
- Finalists will receive
- 2021 Gold Medal
- Free registration 2022 Games
- ESWG Prize Pack courtesy of our sponsors
- Overall Athlete of the Year (in addition to the above)
- Free lodging for the 2022 Games
- Athlete of the Year Award Plaque
- Light the cauldron at the 2022 Opening Ceremony
- Radio Interview
- Newspaper, social, and website features
- $1000 donation to their team/club
- Submitted for consideration by the National Congress of State Games in naming the National Athlete of the year
- Nominations will be accepted until February 12th
- Finalists will begin to be notified on February 19th
- Video submissions for finalists due March 5th
- Voting for overall winner March 6-8th
- Winner Announced March 9th